Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why I Started This Blog

I'm starting this blog out of inspiration from the movie Julie and Julia. All of my cooking life, I have always always always avoided recipes that either look too hard, have too many ingredients or ingredients that I don't know or haven't used before.

But the fact the Julie went through an entire Julia Child cookbook in a year really struck a chord with me. If she could do it after working all day then so could I. I finally said to myself, enough of being a scared, lazyass; just get off your butt and stop taking the path of least resistance in life. So that night I told my husband I was going to work through the entire Veganomicon cookbook, the best cookbook I've come across.

For the last several months I've had the book, I've skimmed through, dismissing any recipe that met the aforementioned criteria. No more! This past week I prepared and ate 3 new dishes from the book. I'm sure that I may have never made at least 2 of them were it not for this new flame of inspiration.

Anyway, the first new recipe I tried I knew right away this blog would have a focus. It was not only going to be about letting go of inhibitions, but also of finding ways to make recipes less complicated and/or less expensive. Hey, it's not just about embracing my lazy and cheap side - there are almost always shortcuts, alternative ingredients and workaround that can help make cooking (and cleaning!) a lot more enjoyable, less intimidating and more affordable.

I started this blog to have a journal and repository for the experience of the project, but if this provides inspiration or ideas to anyone or becomes a portal for sharing ideas and experiences, then all the better.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea- I have yet to use a recipe from my Veganomicon, primarily for the same reasons you mentioned (fear of new ingredients and possible difficulty level). Now I can just read your blog and see which ones are the easiest to tackle first! Maybe I'll even work up the guts to try a few you haven't posted yet. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete