Monday, September 14, 2009

Caesar Salad With Roasted Garlic Croutons

OMG! I says to the hubs, "I could sustain myself off of these croutons!" And after we ate, he said the same thing. Well, those and Pad Lao from Vientiane Palace in Madison, WI.

This salad was sooooo good. Do you know how awesome it is to be able to eat a Caesar salad without wondering if there are anchovies in it? Pretty freakin' awesome, folks. And not just any Caesar salad, but *this* Caesar salad.

The dressing turned out fantastically and I think you already know how I feel about the croutons. I actually didn't follow the crouton recipe precisely as I forgot to roast the garlic and didn't feel like doing it so late in the game. So I just used some powdered garlic, but no worries, those damn croutons didn't need exact precision to be one of the best things I've put in my mouth in a while. They were the perfect balance of crispy and chewy.

Give yourself a little extra time for this recipe as it didn't account for me having to wash the lettuce (I can't not wash organic lettuce...so buggy). And you'll need to make sure you make the dressing first so it has time to chill and unlike me, get that garlic roasting right away as well.

One tip for this: If you want a little extra protein, add some warm, fried tofu cubes. We like to freeze our tofu, thaw and then squeeze it out like a sponge. It's nice n' chewy and fries up real good like that way!

This recipe is on page 81 of Veganomicon.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that looks good! I've only had a decent vegan Caeser salad bar once (from a buffet in Canada) so I'll have to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well funny you say that, Tara, as this morning I decided I was going to make this for you guys when you come over! Looks like I'm on the right track. We're looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete