Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Greek-Style Tomato-Zucchini Fritters With Fresh Herbs

I think I probably washed my hands off a good 20 times while making this dish. And the 45 minute preparation time ended up being 1 1/2 hours for me. I'm sure part of my slowness is due to the fact that I couldn't organize a square into a square if I had to, but what I lack in organizational skills I make up for in physical speed. But I also made the suggested dip (Mediterranean-style Cashew-Cucumber Dip) which also needs to be added to the prep time, despite being able to multitask each dish separately.

One problem I had was that they ended up being a bit "wet." When I originally prepared the "batter" I thought it was too dry, probably because I squeezed almost all the water out of the tofu, so I added a little bit back in. Too much, obviously.

The outside was nice and crispy and the fritter was very flavorful. The cashew-cucumber dip was excellent...very fresh, creamy and tangy. I'd love to make that again if I can think of something else to use it with.

I probably won't make this dish again anytime soon, solely for two reasons. One, the time and mess. Two, it was expensive, at least in my book. And I even "cheated" a bit by using fresh basil on our porch rather than the fresh mint, which I don't grow (yet). But I'd be happy to eat it again if someone else wants to make it!

This recipe is on page 52 of Veganomicon.

No comments:

Post a Comment