Thursday, October 1, 2009

Basic Broiled Tofu


This one is definitely going into our rotation. You know, that rotation that will start up way in the future once I'm done going through the entire Veganomicon book.

Anyway, this dish was easy, delicious and relatively affordable.

We (I don't know why I sometimes say "we" instead of "I"...I guess I just think of our cooking as a joint experience even though we each do all the cooking on our own) used the freeze/thaw/squeeze method on the tofu (as we almost always do). It really soaked up the braising sauce, which was light, fresh and tasty.

One recommendation on broiling the tofu. I put the tofu on the next to the bottom rack and even then it got as dark as it did by following the timing in the recipe. I was surprised they didn't mention that in the book, but perhaps we have some super broiler (I doubt that).

For serving, I went with the stuffing it into a something-made-with-flour-that-can-hold-it idea. They recommend pitas, but I used whole wheat tortillas (big ones) instead. I made the Dill-Tahini sauce (pg. 215) as well and cut up some tomato, onion and chopped lettuce and spinach to stuff in with the tofu.

For a side dish, I oven roasted some chopped carrots, green pepper and onion, which were slim pickins, but tasty, after the oven got done with them. I may not do this next time because, as you know, I'm a lazy cook.

This is on page 126 of Veganomicon.

1 comment:

  1. Damn that looks good. Would have loved to see the final concoction with the veggies and sauce in pita.

    That tofu just looks so golden and crispy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete