Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Broccoli Potato Soup With (No) Fresh Herbs

Simple, healthy, warm and easy. This soup (and a glass of wine, of course) was a great way to wind down on a cool fall day.

This was one of the easiest dishes I've made from the book. And easy usually pleases me. It was also very healthy, with just a few simple ingredients.

While I can't claim it was amazing, which is partly because I'm just not a "soup person," it was undoubtedly good.

I admit that I didn't use any of the fresh herbs. When I saw each would cost me $2-3, I couldn't bear to part with those dollars just for a soup garnish that would be tasted and gone in the flash of a pan. Sometimes the condiment or topping can make or break a dish, but in this case, I wasn't too worried about it.

One tip: Our immersion blender didn't do much to the broccoli other than spin it around, so I ended up putting about 1/3 - 1/2 of the broccoli, along with some broth, in the blender. This gave the soup a bit of added thickness and color, too.

This was also one of the cheaper dishes I've made in a while. It was roughly $6-7. And since it was one pot, the cleanup was also a breeze.

Because of the healthiness, simplicity and price of it, I'm sure we'll make it again on a cold winter night.

This recipe is on page 138 of Veganomicon.

3 comments:

  1. This looks good, something I may try as we love, love, love soup around here...Bill and I wait all year long for these months so I can make soup, soup, soup. We can eat pretty cheaply on soup since it makes a lot and per serving is pretty cheap. Love this blog...I like to read your comments about certain things...by the way we love cilantro!! :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this soup from VCon and I have to say that the herbs are not just for garnish! They really make the flavor! When you make it again, invest in those herbs or even add some dried herbs, because it made the soup WONDERFUL!
    Best, B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, B. It's nice to hear that sometimes the garnishes actually do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete