Monday, January 4, 2010

Penne Vodka


I was so excited to finally make this dish as I got over my inhibition to run to the liquor store and pick up some vodka. But since Bryan needed some dark rum for some rum balls, who was I to stand in the way between him and his rum?

This was probably the easiest dish to date I've made from the book. And quick, too. I think the whole thing took me about half an hour, as advertised. And clean up was just as easy.

The taste was subtle, creamy and delicious. The nuts gave it just a little additional, and desirable, toothiness. The sauce reminded me of the sauce that would be served on a margherita pizza.

To help ease the blending of the almonds, I pre-ground them using a coffee grinder, then finished them off with the immersion blender. Much to my surprise, it was the immersion blender that really mixed the nuts into the sauce and gave it the creamy, milky texture.

I skipped the basil on top, although it would have been an excellent garnish. I was just too cheap to buy it and used dried basil instead.

Cost-wise, this was probably around $8. Because of the reasonable cost, the taste and how easy it was to make, it will most definitely be going into our rotation.

I hope you make it and enjoy it as much as we did.

This recipe is on page 193 of Veganomicon.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good despite my aversion to canned tomatoes. :-P I love those white bowls.

    ReplyDelete