Monday, January 4, 2010

Sweet Potato-Pear Tzimmes


First of all, for those of you wondering how to pronounce this, it's si-mi-s. Not 'zimmus' or 't-zimes' as I was saying all week before making it. More about tzimmes can be found here.

This was probably one of the strangest things I've made in a while for dinner, but it was surprisingly good. This was the side for the Tangerine Baked Tofu which I made several months ago already.

I also learned that although I knew sweet potatoes and yams were different, I didn't know that sweet potatoes were much lighter in color. At least the ones I bought were. They were just a little more brown than a regular potato, but nowhere near the orange color of yams. And their flavor seemed a bit more subtle, too.

The final result was excellent. It was a nice blend of salty, sweet and spicy. For my own extra spice spin, I added some cayenne pepper for good measure. I pretty much put cayenne on everything and I thought the pears would be a great use for it.

The potatoes were tender and lightly sweet, the pears were sweet and still a little crisp (I wouldn't mind them being a bit more tender, but they were great they way they were) and the pecans were very crunchy and a little sweet.

All the flavors were well balanced and it heated up great as leftovers.

I forgot to buy the raisins, but it turns out that was fine since Bryan hates hot raisins and I can't say I'm a huge fan either.

Aside from leaving out the raisins, no other modifications were made.

The cost of the dish was about $6-7, but since it was just a side, it was a tad pricey, relatively speaking. But worth the cost in my opinion.

This recipe is on page 156 of Veganomicon.

No comments:

Post a Comment